|Made in the UK|
|Worldwide shipping available|
|Pay via Credit/Debit Card, PayPal or bank transfer online. PO number can be added during checkout if required.|
About the virkon disinfectant powder (rely+on) 500gm bottle
What is Virkon?
Virkon is a multi-purpose disinfectant for hard surfaces in health care, laboratory, food production facilities and public environments. Virkon is proven effective against viral, bacterial and fungal pathogens of interest to infection control, including HIV, hepatitis B and C, MRSA, VRE and Salmonella.
- The 500gm bottle of Rely+On™ Virkon Disinfectant Powder makes up approx 50 litres of Virkon Disinfectant.
- Ideal for body fluid spillages. Virkon powder can be added to urine or other body fluids directly for rapid disinfection. Also ideal for routine, preventative cleaning.
- Safe and simple to use - not classified as harmful to the user. It has a low acute toxicity, does not cause skin corrosion, does not cause sensitisation and is biodegradable.
- Once placed in water, becomes a pink solution which is activated within 5 minutes. Built-in colour indicator of strength and use life up to five days after activation (1:100 solution).
- Virkon is effective at killing 99.999% of microorganisms in less than 10 minutes.
- Solution can be applied to surfaces using a spray bottle, sponge, mop etc. Any items that need disinfecting (not medical devices) can be submerged in Virkon solution and rinsed afterwards.
- Proven effective against all major pathogens known to man and a wide range of antibiotic-resistant strains. After independent testing, also proven effective against:
300 strains/clinical isolates from 76 bacteria
47 strains/clinical isolates from 35 viruses
45 strains/clinical isolates from 17 fungi
- The 500gm Virkon powder shelf life is 3 years from date of manufacture.
How Virkon Disinfectant Powder Works
The Virkon solution is activated by adding the powder to water.
Virkon disinfectant is a unique, synergised oxidising system based on potassium monopersulphate - works by the physical destruction of pathogens.
The potassium monopersulphate oxidises proteins in bacteria cell walls and viral structures. This is what disrupts the bacteria's physical structure and the viability as pathogens.
Contains a surfactant - combines cleaning and disinfection in one operation.
How do you use Virkon Powder to make a solution?
Step 1 : Pop the plastic cap.
Making sure protecting equipment is worn (gloves, goggles etc), pop up the lid on the cap to reveal the squeeze bottle seal.
Step 2 : Pierce the seal
Using either the scoop handle provided or another tool to pierce the seal on the bottle
Step 3 : Fill a bottle with 1 litre of water
Fill a container with 1 litre of lukewarm water or if you have the Virkon spray bottle, fill this up with 500ml of lukewarm water.
Step 4 : Measure the powder
If you are mixing 1 litre of solution, pour 1 level scoup of powder (10g). If you are using the vikon spray bottle (500ml) pour hald a scoop of powder (5g).
Step 5 : Mix the solution
Pour the measured powder into the water and mix until the solution is pink in colour.
Step 6 : Ready to use
If using the bottle, replace the lid. Your solution is now ready to use.
- Wear protective clothing (gloves, eye /face protection)
- Fill a container with 1 litre of lukewarm water. Measure out 10gm of Virkon powder.*
- Pour the 10gm of powder into the container and mix with a long handled spoon / utensil.
- Allow the powder to dissolve until the solution turns to a clear pink.
- This 500gm shaker bottle can be used for direct application on spills.
* For 5 litres of water, use 50gm of powder, for 10 litres of water, use 100gm of powder.
What does Virkon Kill?
At 1:100 (10 grams of Virkon per litre of water), Virkon solution is effective against multiple viral, bacterial and fungal pathogens. These include but are not limited to:
|Micro-organism / Infection||Strain|
|Adenovirus (h5)||Type 5 ATCC VR-5|
|Adenovirus||Type 5 (EN14476)|
|Bacillus cereus (veg)||(veg) ATCC 14579|
|Bacillus subtilis||(veg) NCTC 10073|
|Campylobacter jejuni||ATCC 24929|
|Candida albicans||Gbl 648|
|Chlamydia psittaci||VR-125 (strain 6BC)|
|Clostridium perfringens (veg)||ATCC 13124|
|Coronavirus Middle East Resp. Syndrome (MERS)||ATCC VR-740|
|Coxiella burnetii||Nine mile (RSA 493)|
|Dermatophilus congolensis||ATCC 14637|
|Escherichia coli 0157||ATCC 43895|
|Escherichia coli||NCTC 8196|
|Feline calicivirus (surrogate for Norwalk & norovirus)||ATCC VR-782|
|Hepatitis C||BVDV ATCC CCL-222|
|Influenza A virus||ATCC VR-544|
|Klebsiella pneumoniae||ATCC 4352|
|Listeria monocytogenes||ATCC 19117|
|Pasteurella multocida||ATCC 12947|
|Poliovirus||Type 1 LSc2ab|
|Poliovirus||Type 1 (EN14476)|
|Proteus mirabilis||ATCC 14153|
|Proteus vulgaris||NCTC 4635|
|Ps. aeruginosa||ATCC 15442|
|Ps. aeruginosa||CIP A22|
|Respiratory syncitial virus||ATCC VR-26|
|Salmonella typhimurium||ATCC 23564|
|Shigella sonnei||ATCC 25931|
|Staphylococcus aureus||ATCC 33592 (MRSA)|
|Staphylococcus aureus||ATCC 6538|
|Staphylococcus aureus||NCTC 4163 (MRSA 2 clinical isolates)|
|Staphylococcus aureus||MRSA, Swine origin|
|Staphylococcus epidermidis||ATCC 12228|
|Streptococcus faecalis||NCTC 775|
|Streptococcus pyogenes||ATCC 11229|
|Streptococcus suis||ATCC 43765|
The above list is a brief overview of some of the organisms that are eliminated by Virkon disinfectant. This is not a comprehensive list and is just a concise snapshot of some of the wide range of viruses / strains that Virkon is effective against.
Ideal Applications for Virkon
- Residential Homes
- Dental surgeries
- Leisure Facilities
- Catering Facilities
- Food production
Is this the proper version of Virkon or is it 'Virkon S' for use with animals etc?
This is a bottle of Rely+On Virkon. 'Virkon S' is "designed for use in the production of poultry, swine, and other types of agriculture" whereas 'Rely+On Virkon' is for use in human environments (e.g. Hospitals, Clinics etc).
How long does Virkon S last when mixed?
Reply+On Virkon when mixed at 1% solutions are stable for 5 days. However, please note this product is Rely+On Virkon (for use in 'human environments' and not 'Virkon S' which is for use in Animal Environments.
How should I dispose of Virkon solution?
Unused solutions of Reply+On Virkon may be disposed of via normal liquid waste systems, such as sinks and drains connected to the municipal sewer system in accordance with local authority regulations. Do not dispose in storm water drains or any unprotected water systems.
How I store this product?
Store closed containers in a cool, dry place. Store prepared solution out of direct sunlight at ambient temperatures (15-25C).
Product Reference : RMS000891
Internal catalogue reference : DS001-13
Product external rating on reviews.co.uk:
4.9 out of 5 based on 13 customer ratings